Eurogroup Meeting Delayed, Reportedly Due To Greeks "Sending Wrong Letter
- *EU MEETING ON GREECE PUSHED BACK AGAIN TO 11AM ET., GREECE SENT THE WRONG LETTER TO EU
Greece sent incorrect letter to Eurogroup yesterday which led to Germany rejecting the loan extension request, according to Bild
The Greek government accidentally sent the wrong letter to Brussels on Thursday with the intended version going a step further accepting conditions agreed to by the previous government, Germany's Bild Zeitung reported Friday citing government sources.
According to the report, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras in cooperation with EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and Eurogroup head Jeroen Dijsselbloem Wednesday had prepared a letter to secure support of bailout partners.
However, Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis sent an altered version of the letter in which - against previous agreements - omitting assurances that Greece will accept bailout conditions agreed to by the previous government, the report said.
The paper said that in conversations with Dijsselbloem and German chancellor Angela Merkel, Tsipras described the letter as an "administrative mistake."
The proposal that had been sent was quickly rejected by Germany as sufficient.
Of course - who knows if this is just Bild trolling the Greeks at this stage, considering that among its "incisive" Greek analysis, Bild also posts profound articles such as this:
* * *
Finance ministers from across Europe are arriving in Brussels for the latest, most critical (until the next one) stare-down across the table at The Greeks. As Germany's Schaeuble noted somewhat pessimistically "we shall see," on the outcome of today's meeting, adding that Greece "must take seriously" previous agreements and "Europe needs mutual trust." Varoufakis on his arrival explained that he "hopes for white smoke" by the end of the day adding that "Greece has gone the extra 10 miles... and hopes EU can meet them one-fith of the way."
- Sources say Schauble and Varoufakis in separate rooms with shuttle diplomacy by Lagarde, Moscovici, Dijsselbloem between them.
- *GREECE EXIT FROM EURO ZONE IS NOT AN OPTION, SAPIN SAYS
- *SCHAEUBLE SAYS 'WE SHALL SEE' WHAT OUTCOME IS OF EUROGROUP
- *SCHAEUBLE SAYS EUROPE NEEDS MUTUAL TRUST
- *SCHAEUBLE SAYS 'IT'S NOT ABOUT ONE COUNTRY, IT'S ABOUT EUROPE'
- *SCHAEUBLE SAYS MUST FIND SOLUTIONS TO MAINTAIN TRUST IN EURO
- *SCHAEUBLE SAYS MUST 'TAKE SERIOUSLY' PREVIOUS AGREEMENTS
- *VAROUFAKIS SAYS GREECE HAS GONE EXTRA 10 MILES
- *VAROUFAKIS SAYS GREECE HOPES FOR WHITE SMOKE AFTER MEETING
- *VAROUFAKIS SAYS HE TRUSTS THERE WILL BE AN AGREEMENT TODAY
- *VAROUFAKIS EXPECTS PARTNERS TO MEET GREECE ONE-FIFTH OF THE WAY
- MNI: SPAIN DE GUINDOS: DEAL WITH GREECE NOT NECESSARY BEFORE MONDAY
* * *
How will it end?