Seven killed in letter bomb blasts in south China
Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:1PM
Part of a building collapse, left, after multiple explosions in Liucheng County, Guangxi, China on September 30, 2015.
At least seven people have been killed in a series of bombings that targeted more than ten locations, including public buildings, in southern China, state media report.
The bomb blasts took place on Wednesday, when 15 letter bombs exploded on the sites, the official Xinhua news agency reported.
“Initial investigation showed that explosives could be inside express delivery packages,” the report said.
The blasts that occurred on the eve of China’s National Day holidays reportedly hit at least 13 locations in Liucheng County in the southern region of Guangxi and left dozens of people wounded.
China’s media reports said a jail, a government office and a shopping center were among the places targeted.
State broadcaster CCTV, meanwhile, said “the case is understood to be a criminal one,” adding that several different explosive devices caused the blasts.
Police officials said later in the day that a 33-year-old local suspect had been identified, but gave no immediate motive and were seeking his arrest. The "preliminary suspect" was named as M. Wei, aged 33 and living in the town of Dapu in the county.
In recent years several disgruntled Chinese citizens have bombed local government offices and public places in an effort to draw attention to their grievances.
In 2013 a man set off a series of home-made bombs packed with ball-bearings outside a provincial government headquarters in northern China, killing at least one person and wounding eight.
During the same year, a street vendor set fire to a bus in east China's Fujian province, killing himself and nearly four dozen passengers in an act of retaliation against local authorities